Thanks to our shadow-seeing groundhog, this year’s Spring thaw was a long time coming. All the more reason to celebrate it’s triumphant arrival with extra cute rain boots, pastel blouses, strawberry rhubarb pie and of course, Easter chocolate. No matter what your age or religious beliefs, it’s hard not to get on board with this special time of year when chocolate is celebrated in all its decadence and glory. But if you’re going to indulge in chocolate, you might as well go for the really good stuff, and McEwan’s selection will never let you down. Take a tip from Celebrity Chef Mark McEwan who states,
“As with any ingredient, if you start with the high quality basics you cannot go wrong. Nowhere is that more apparent than with chocolate, and didn’t someone say that the right chocolate in the right amount can be good for you?”
The man has a point! Check out my top five favourite chocolate picks for bunny baskets, holiday dessert trays and hostess gifts this Spring.
1. Laura Slack’s Baby Easter Chick – Laura Slack’s chocolates are truly works of art. Almost too pretty to eat (key word-almost), this adorable hand-painted egg would make a stunning centre-piece for a holiday sweets spread. Eyes too big for your stomach? Check out the Laura Slack counter for smaller hand-painted bunnies, and gourmet truffles with flavours like Earl Grey Tea, Macha Green Tea, and Smoked Bacon.
2. Guess How Much I Love You Milk Chocolate Eggs- With illustrations and branding from the endearing classic children’s book “Guess How Much I Love You”, these fine milk chocolate eggs are the perfect taste of nostalgia. Kids will love the recognizable characters and the colourful egg-carton packaging, while adults will love the clean and simple flavour and ingredient list. To satisfy smaller mouths or to hide for an Easter egg hunt, you can also check out the adorable five-pack of chocolate baby bunnies.
3. Choices Dairy Free Chocolate Egg- Catering to dietary restrictions and a sweet tooth at the same time doesn’t have to be a fruitless task. This hefty chocolate egg and mini chocolate disks are Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free and Egg Free, making them suitable for vegetarians, vegans, and those with gluten, dairy and other intolerances or allergies. But don’t think these diet-friendly treats are rabbit food-even the hard-core chocolate enthusiasts in your house will gladly gobble them up.
4. Heidi Gourmette’s White Chocolate Egg with Orange and Pumpkin Seeds- A sophisticated import from Romania, Heidi confections are celebrated across Eastern Europe and definitely for good reason. This confection’s stunning garnish of crunchy pumpkin seeds and tangy candied orange adds a chic adult touch to the otherwise kid-favourite white chocolate. A favourite for everyone in the house!
5. Vosges’ Organic Peanut Butter Bonbon Eggs– For those who love that sweet and salty combination, these eggs are a must try. The decadent chocolate shell surrounds a creamy peanut butter filling that’s then topped with a delicate hit of maldon sea salt to make the flavour pop! Worried you’ll inhale them all in a single go (hey, it wouldn’t be hard)? Why not opt for one of Vosges’ adorable single serve Peanut Butter or Toffee Bunnys topped with trendy pink Himalayan salt.
Now that you’ve got your sweet treat shopping list in tow, hop on over to McEwan to get your chocolate fix. Because there’s no better way to celebrate the sweetness of Spring’s arrival than with a dark, decadent and delicious McEwan treat.
ABBEY SHARP, RD